Duties and Responsibilities Reporting to the Senior Advisor: Built Environment & Planning, the incumbent will support Senior Advisor:” Built Environment & Planning by providing advice, support and capacity building initiatives to ensure awareness and to better support municipalities in the mitigation and response to climate change at local government levels. THE CANDIDATE PROFILE
▪ Analytical and problem-solving skills;
▪ Decision making and sound judgement;
▪ Business Communication and writing skills (opinions, positions, feedback & presentation);
▪ Stakeholder Management and Influencing skills;
▪ High degree of self-management, pro-activeness and creativity;
▪ A dynamic, motivated self-starter with high levels of emotional maturity.
Reporting to the Senior Advisor: Built Environment & Planning, the incumbent will support Senior Advisor:” Built Environment & Planning by providing advice, support and capacity building initiatives to ensure awareness and to better support municipalities in the mitigation and response to climate change at local government levels.
THE CANDIDATE PROFILE
▪ Research and Benchmarking: Collects, categorises and tracks relevant information required for specific tasks and projects; Perform support activities to benchmarking exercises under guidance from senior and Specialists; Under leadership and guidance from Senior Advisors and Specialists, perform desktop research on issues related to municipal challenges within the sector/ professional discipline (Collect data, examine relevance and synthesise); Support the gathering and channeling of information to build and update municipal profiles; Provide administrative support with the arrangements of knowledge sharing / peer learning sessions/ presentations to SALGA staff and external stakeholders. May include providing inputs to content and packaging of information for the sessions.
▪ Representation at IGR & Other For a (lobbying and Advocacy): Represent municipalities at relevant forums/ meetings/ committees within the sector/ professional discipline; Attend policy conferences in topics related to area of accountability; Support the Senior advisors to develop content on a number of complex issues relevant to a SALGA position for mandating; Support the development of reports to the working groups; Understand the national and provincial governance structures of SALGA and the institutional structures
of the Sector/ Professional discipline and key role players in the area of specialisation; Represent SALGA and the Municipalities at relevant external fora.
▪ Support Advice and capacity building: Guide, support and provide advice to municipalities in the areas of focus/ professional discipline in accordance with the programme plan; Provide hands-on support to strengthen municipal capacity/ improve programme implementation; Implement the capacity building strategy and associated programmes in municipalities; Support the representation of municipalities as the “employer” on national/ provincial LGSETA structures; Coordinate the logistical arrangements for training programmes/ peer learning sessions in the areas of focus/ professional discipline.
▪ Programme Monitoring and Evaluation and Reporting: Implement project management methodologies and disciplines; and support the management of the full project cycle on assigned projects including M&E; Ensure that projects are conducted against contract specification and payments are based on agreed milestone; Maintain records as per SALGA policy and ensure that all project records are up loaded into the company knowledge management system; Support the reporting on progress against milestones; Support the
preparation of audit files for each project prior to audit.
▪ Stakeholder Management: Within the scope of area of accountability build and maintain relevant stakeholder relationships/ partnerships in the area of responsibility; Ensure appropriate and timely communications with all stakeholders; Build partnerships with relevant stakeholders to ensure programme success and to increase SALGA’s capacity to make an impact; Support the creation of reports to communicate about the programme and provide updates for website.
▪ Governance, Compliance and Risk Management: Uphold sound corporate governance principles in the day-to-day operation of the area of responsibility/ professional discipline; Ensure compliance with organisational policies and procedures; Support the identification and mitigation of organisational and operational risks identified in the area of responsibility/ professional discipline.
▪ Teamwork: Work as a multi-disciplinary and integrated team to find possible solutions to complex challenges in municipalities; Support organisational priorities and the implementation of resource mobilisation systems and processes; In line with the SALGA organisational culture, align personal and organisational values for improved performance; Support the Executive and Senior Management Team in building a high-performance culture in SALGA; Implement the performance management and development processes in SALGA to drive high performance on an ongoing basis.
▪ Relevant tertiary qualification (Climate Change, Environmental Studies or closely related qualification);
▪ At least 3 years’ relevant experience of which at least 1 years have been at an equivalent level within a medium to large sized organisation;
▪ Demonstrates a sound understanding of the Local Government Sector and issues relating to area of speciality;
▪ Sound understanding of policy and legislative frameworks in area of responsibility
Suitably qualified and experienced candidates must submit a curriculum vitae in application for this position to [email protected] Closing Date: 27 May 2022 (Please quote the relevant reference number in the subject line) NOTE: Communication will be limited to short-listed candidates only. SALGA reserves the right not to proceed with the appointment for any of the vacant position. All appointments will be made in line with the SALGA’S Employment Equity Plan